Charles Andrew Whatley
6220 Franklin Hawk Avenue | El Paso, TX 79912
M: 415-309-5652 | H: 915-585-1719
S: andywhatley1 | cawhatley.com
Sales | Business Development | Management
Entrepreneurial, tenacious, results-driven professional with extensive experience in digital and traditional media management, software and advertising sales, and business development to increase sales performance and profitability in key organizations.
- Hunter and rainmaker. Highly effective at building relationships, training teams and closing business.
- Outstanding 20+ year track record in integrated media sales, sales management and business development.
- Managed 10+ direct reports, dozens of indirect sellers and revenue budgets over $30MM + annually.
- Highly entrepreneurial having launched several businesses through investor fund raising, execution and ultimately profitable sale (radio stations, visitor publication, digital and creative service bureau)
- Proven, successful leader in both large, traditional media and technology companies as well as small start-ups.
- Successful sales and sales management experience in radio, television, print, publishing and technology.
- Cultivates strong, lasting client relationships and strategic partnerships that ensure future, lucrative business opportunities.
- Attracts, nurtures, and develops best-of-breed teams, emphasizing ongoing education and a collaborative, team-centric environment that maximizes productivity and profitability.
- Able to understand and communicate with a variety of sales audiences and produce engaging presentations that effectively reach them.
- Ensures consistent, deep product knowledge for optimal customer service and solution development.
- Experienced in coordinating/hosting/speaking at industry events, such as Borrell, NAB, RAB, Radio Ink, Convergence, Tech Summit and more.
- Thrives within highly technical environments.
Areas of Expertise
TV, Radio & Print | Advertising | Social Media | Mobile | SaaS Sales Management | Radio Station Management
Advertising Sales Management | Creative Product Development | Business Development | Recruiting | Training
Top/Bottom Line Responsibility | Complex Deal Negotiation | Communication | Relationship Cultivation
Powerpoint-Keynote Presentation Specialist | Mac and Windows OS | Microsoft Office Suite | Adobe Creative Suite | Final Cut Pro
Nielsen NetRatings | ComScore/Rentrak | Ad Words | DART | Salesforce | Marketron | ClearSlide | The List
- Providing digital and social media marketing and advertising services to small and medium sized businesses.
- Specializing in social media leverage, lead generation, social contesting, database management, SEO, SEM, mobile strategies.
- Ad campaign management including Ad Words, You Tube, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Snap Chat, Targeted Video, Targeted Display.
- Provided a variety of sales, sales management, digital product development, training and management consultation to media companies.
- Developing national advertisers for the Smarter Lifestyle Network–DOOH Video/Interactive Health & Beauty venues.
- Worked with publishers including Omega Communications, owners of Norte Daily News, Weekend Magazine, Paladar Magazine and various digital platforms.
- Successfully worked with broadcast groups including Mortenson Broadcasting providing regional and national business development services.
- Served as Business Development executive with emerging technology companies including SaaS Chat Service, SMB focused social media platform, Hispanic In-Store Video Network.
- Representing the full array of Triton Digital services including CDN, Ad Platform, Webcast Metrics, a2x programmatic ad exchange and audience engagement tools to publishers and broadcasters.
- Work closely with clients on establishing successful strategies around audience engagement initiatives and advertising monetization objectives.
- Strengthen relationships with existing clients as well as identify, target and close new customers.
- Representing various emerging media technology companies to agencies, brands, publishers and broadcasters to establish enterprise level deals.
- In first few months of employment, closed seven figure deal with UPS Stores-SMB Solutions.
- Closed new enterprise level business working with SMB and media technology based clients.
- Evangelized emerging media platforms across major agencies including Horizon, The Richards Group, Dieste, GSD&M and many more.
- Landed enterprise level deals with broadcast and media publishers including Australian Radio Network, The Radio Network-New Zealand, Stephens Media, Inside Radio/Clear Channel, NRG Radio, Buckley Broadcasting, Salem Communications, Wilkins Communications, Evening Post Publishing, Duplantis Ministries and many more.
- Significantly impacted incremental revenue growth via new and current accounts by launching multiple, profitable verticals and new products/services to media clients including a hyper local SEO advertising platform.
- Initiated a complete strategy makeover, identifying and recruiting new technology, engineering, and sales team to revitalize core services and revenue strategy.
- Re-launched The Radio.com music streaming site with listener customization capabilities. Audiences immediately grew by over 400% and established ability to derive revenue from platform for first time.
- Acquired high-profile clients, including Clear Channel, Radio One, Transworld Media, Gannett, and AT&T Cruisecast, establishing the company’s first consistent revenue stream.
- Created new product verticals including IP delivered customized audio service for the retail environment and landed first customers including the Kangaroo convenience store chain with over 1600 locations.
Kiptronic Inc. (now Limelight Networks)
- Landed key clients and worked on client sales training and activation team (e.g., NPR, NBC.com, New York Times, Boston Globe, UK Guardian, PBS, CBS Sports, FOX, Conde Nast, The Economist, and Minnesota Public Radio).
- Delivered web-based tools that detected/served video ads to connected devices just as served to web browsers.
- Evangelized new ad insertion technology for downloadable media to key digital/broadcast agencies in major metropolitan locations, such as New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Chicago. Results of campaign resulted in NPR and others establishing record CPM’s for their downloadable media sponsorship sales.
Jones Media America (now Dial Global)
- Developed engaging presentations and digital media extensions closing high six-figure deals with B.F. Goodrich, Visa, and BMW and others.
- Trained national radio sales team on digital media sales.
Q2 Media Group (Creative Services, Video/Audio Production/Syndication)
- Attained profitability within one year of launch, acquiring such high-profile clients as A & E Television, Google, Charles Schwab, Publicis, McCann, Stevie Wonder, and Jim Cramer.
- Launched comedy prep service to 200+ stations nationally and A & E’s Bio for Radio to 300+ stations.
- Produced dozens of video projects for major brands like Visa and Google.
- Created and delivered early use of video streaming on websites.
Developed and directed online services division sales/marketing strategies that extended market reach, enhanced brand identity, and increased revenues. Recruited, hired, developed, and led top-producing sales teams, emphasizing ongoing training/mentoring and collaborative, team-focused environment to maximize output. Worked closely with product manager and provided key direction on new product development.
Trained media client sales organizations in digital media advertising sales and strategies. Cultivated client and strategic partnerships based on trust, integrity, and industry expertise that attract future business opportunities. Established profitable new vertical media markets. Directed all initiatives for consultancy group offering conversion of digital media assets to revenue via digital culture infusion and highly effective sales training programs. Integrated social media, streaming strategies, and innovative sales methodologies into organizations. Created all marketing, collateral and websites.
Provided nationwide media publishers, faith-based organizations, and retailers with digital media tools/streaming strategies to enhance retail profitability with branded music solutions/point-of-purchase marketing platforms. Developed new business models for start-up organizations. Established technical infrastructure for streaming and media management. Enabled content publishers to deliver content/dynamic advertising tailored to mobile/connected device without significantly altering existing publishing, hosting, trafficking, or reporting platforms. Founded organization to provide creative/media services to advertising agencies and corporate/retail clients, including video/audio and commercial production, website development, online and syndication marketing, and satellite distribution to radio and television stations. Successfully owned and managed radio stations in large and medium markets. Consulted and trained television, print and radio sales teams.
Evolve7 Digital, LLC, Managing Partner | 2017
MediaBridge One, LLC, President, Consultant | 2014-2017
Triton Digital, LLC, National, Senior Publisher Development Manager | 2013-2014
IXR Consulting, LLC, National, Senior Vice President—Business Development | 2012-2013
MediaSpan Group-Online Services, Irvine, CA, Vice President of Sales & Marketing | 2009 – 2012
American Media Services Interactive, LLC, Charleston, SC, President | 2008 – 2009
Kiptronic Inc. (Currently Limelight Networks), San Francisco, CA, Vice President | 2006 – 2008
Jones Media America (Currently Dial-Global), New York, NY, Digital Media Consultant | 2005 – 2006
Q2 Media Group, San Francisco, CA, President | 2001 – 2005
Information Network Radio Inc., San Francisco, CA, Vice President of Sales & Marketing | 1998 – 2001
Douglas Broadcasting Inc., Los Angeles, San Francisco & Washington, D.C.
General Manager, Director of Sales | 1996 – 2001 (Douglas was both Information Network and DBI, Inc.)
Horizon Productions, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, CA, President | 1994 – 1996
Great Electric Communications Inc., Santa Barbara, CA, Co-Founder, General Manager | 1986 – 1994
Previous positions including radio station management, television sales consulting, magazine publisher, talk show host, broadcast journalist, disc-jockey, music director, program director
University of Texas, El Paso, Austin, TX, Mass Communications
Radio Advertising Bureau, Dallas, TX, Certificate, Radio Sales Management
Wharton Executive Education, Philadelphia, PA, Certificate, Broadcast Management